South Africa is not only home to golfing legends - Gary Player, Ernie Els and Retief Goosen, but also hosts an array of world-class golf courses and scenic golfing resorts! Known for its beautiful scenery and mild year-round climate, the Garden Route region is also renowned for its championship golf courses with breathtaking views from immaculate greens.
Tee off in the spectacular natural settings of world-class championship golf courses, whilst enjoying the famous Garden Route and beyond.
Garden Route Golf Courses
- Goose Valley Golf Estate - a magnificent Gary Player designed 18-hole signature golf course set on the banks of the Keurbooms Lagoon in the heart of the Garden Route, near Plettenberg Bay. Offering golfers breathtaking views of the lagoon, the ocean, Tsitsikamma Mountains and the Robberg Peninsula.
- Knysna Golf Course - an 18-hole course set on the shores of Knysna Lagoon, close to the Knysna Heads. This relatively flat course has an intesresting layout, meandering through tidal pools amid splendid indigenous trees, and features some of the Southern Cape's best grass greens.
- Oubaai Golf Course - situated along a beautiful stretch of coastline near Herolds Bay (close to George), this is Ernie Els signature golf course in South Africa, offering breathtaking 180 degree views of the Indian Ocean. The layout of the course is a traditional links layout with veld grasses lining the lush fairways.
- Pinnacle Point Golf Course - 18-hole championship golf course designed by Peter Matkovich, a well-known South African golf course architect. Located along the cliffs overlooking the Indian Ocean near Mossel Bay, in 2012 the course was awarded the Compleat Golfer 5-star Experience Award.
- Plettenbery Bay Country Club - a challenging and popular 18-hole golf course set in a private nature reserve outside Plettenberg Bay. The highly rated course is set away from houses and traffic, amongst indigenous flora and fauna including a diversity of birds and small animals.
- Simola Gold Estate - one of South Africa's premier golfing destinations and the first Jack Nicklaus signature course on the Garden Route. An 18-hole championship course offering challenging and rewarding golf with spectacular views of Knysna Lagoon, the Heads and Knysna River in the valley below.
- Pezula Championship Golf Course - an award-winning 18-hole golf course, designed by David Dale and Ronald Fream from GolfPlan USA. This incredibly beautiful golf course of sweeping fairways and rolling greens is nestled in the pristine Southern Cape landscape near Knysna.
- Fancourt Golf Estate - South Africa's premier golf resort hosting three of the Top 20 golf courses in South Africa - The Links, Montagu and Outeniqua courses. These three Gary Player designed championship golf courses, one of which is the Western Cape's premier 18 hole public course, are located near George in the Outeniqua Mountains.
Featured Garden Route Golf Courses
Southern Africa Travel's Golf Safaris feature two world-class golfing destinations on the Garden Route - Pezula Golf Course and Fancourt Golf Estate. These premier golf destinations are also featured in our accommodation listings and can be incorporated into tailor-made safari itineraries to meet your needs to a tee.
Pezula Championship Golf Course - Knysna Golfing
Perched high up on the Eastern Knysna Head the Pezula Resort Hotel & Spa offers breathtaking views over the Indian Ocean, Knysna Lagoon and its championship golf course.
The award-winning 18-hole golf course is considered one of the best and most scenic golf courses in the world and has been described as:
"...a sweeping spectacle of fairways and greens rolling through the pristine Southern Cape landscape."
This gorgeous golf course was designed by David Dale and Ronald Fream from GolfPlan USA, and has been awarded the title of Five Star Golf Experience annually by Compleat Golfer, since 2005. Within months of it opening (in 2001) the course was awarded the accolade of Best New Golf Course in South Africa.
The the fairways and greens of Pezula Championship Golf Course blend in with the pristine indigenous hills and vegetation to create the ultimate golfing playground.
As its name suggests, the Pezula Resort Hotel & Spa also boasts a multi-award-winning spa, along with a state of the art gymnasium, sauna, steam room, heated indoor pool and beauty salons. Guests can also make use of a limo service, eight seater jet and helicopter, as well as a dedicated butler service and private chef.
This Coast & Wilderness Hideaway safari will take you to the luxurious Pezula Resort Hotel & Spa, as well as visiting Cape Town and going game viewing in Shamwari Game Reserve.
Fancourt Hotel and Golf Estate - George Golfing
South Africa’s premier golf resort, Fancourt offers an unforgettable golfing experience in the stunningly scenic Outeniqua Mountains, just outside of George.
At Fancourt golfers are spoilt for choice with three Gary Player designed championship golf courses - the renowned Outeniqua and Montagu golf courses, as well as the top rated The Links. These superbly designed golf courses are accompanied by an excellent Golf Academy, as well as two Golf Pro Shops, the Country Club and a Performance Lab.
Fancourt Hotel and Golf Estate also features various top-notch restaurants, children's facilities, two swimming pools (including a heated one), tennis courts, and a world-class spa with a Roman bath, tepidarium, sauna and steam room.
The Perks of Golfing with Southern Africa Travel
Southern Africa Travel is a member of the Global Golf Tourism Organisation called IAGTO (International Association of Golf Tour Operators).
All Southern Africa Travel clients receive a complimentary Preferred Golf membership for one year (valued at USD 295). Benefits of this membership include reduced green fees and preferred accommodation rates, complimentary golf for all consecutive nights stayed at one of the Preferred Resorts and 24 hour access to the Golf VIP concierge desk.
Our Southern Africa Travel Golf Safaris take you to some of Africa’s finest golf courses, staying in carefully selected luxury accommodation along the way. Get to play on top South African golf courses whilst enjoying private wine tastings, gourmet meals, award winning spas and Big Five game viewing at leading private game reserves in Limpopo and the Cape provinces.
Put together your own itinerary for your ideal golf vacation, tailor made to meet your specific requirements or pick one of our fabulous golfing packages.