At Southern Africa Travel we take great time and effort in planning unique safari holidays: picking just the right lodges, ensuring smooth-running logistics, arranging transfers and activities (and much, much more). As passionate travellers ourselves we can’t help but get excited about these incredible trips that we put together, and love hearing back from our clients once they’re safely home in their own countries.
Take a look at some of our recent feedback, accommodation reviews and safari highlights.
Southern Africa Travel is listed on SafariBookings.com; an online travel resource used to compare and book African safaris.
Once clients have travelled with us, we work with SafariBookings to collect their feedback. This has led to our 5-star rating and many a glowing review.
Posted | Review by Rebecca Nichols , USA | Travelled in February 2017
Thank you for a wonderful trip. We had a great time. Will definitely use your service again and recommend to friends and families.
Have a great weekend.
Posted | Review by Chris Wood , UK | Travelled in January 2017
Thanks for all your help we had a fabulous holiday in South Africa, and we will be back later this year or the start of 2018. We'll get back in touch for all your recommendations for our next trip.
Very best regards and a Happy 2017,
Posted | Review by Thomas Rüegge, Switzerland | Travelled in December 2016
Yes, unfortunately we arrived yesterday back home. We had a great time in South Africa and could have stayed a few days longer easily. But everything has an end!
During our 3-week stay we experienced the diversity of the Eastern and Western Cape area and learned a lot about the country. The trip was very well organised – thank you very much. A great thank you also from Angelika. She very much appreciated the birthday greetings!
Here is a short summary of the different places:
- Cape Town – Cape Cadogan: Good hotel, top service by local guides, Cape Peninsula and township tour very informative, Robben Island and Table mountin a must, Waterfront very touristic but nice to see how they converted the old harbour area.
- Paternoster - Abalone House: Nice change after the city. Peaceful and relaxing. Top room with large terrace and jaccuci at Abalone House. Food at the hotel (Reubens) not to be recommended. Wonderful beach.
- Cederberg - Kagga Kamma: Another sharp change from the seaside. Already the drive to get there with the gravel road was an experience. Overwhelming landscape. Very romantic dinners arround the fireplace. Expected a bit more from the quad bike safari, it was more a sport than seeing places and getting information.
- Franschhoek – Leeu House: Top hotel with excellent service. Very central so easy to go out for a walk. Went to Stellenbosch one afternoon but were happy to haven chosen Franschhoek.
- Whale Coast - Agulhas Country Lodge: Good for one night and to shorten the transfer to Oudtshoorn. Except for being the southernmost point of Africa, not much to see. Hotel very authetic with interiors taken from an old house in the Kalahari. Nevertheless, a few things should be maintained to keep up the standard. Dinner can be recommended.
- Oudtshoorn - De Zeekoe: Very nice location of the hotel and good quality service. Meerkat trip a must. Ostrich farm nearby very informative.
- Knysna - The Turbine Hotel: Fantastic location to stay. Food (dinner) in their restaurant the worst we had on our tour.
- The Sands @ St. Francis: Top hotel with fantastic view. Wonderful beaches at low tide. Good for hours of beach walking. Went also to Plattenberg Bay - a must.
- Kariega: Saved the best for last. The lodge and the game drives absolutely high class.
All in all a wonderful trip. Luckily we planned enough time at each location so there was always time to relax and enjoy. Would not recommend doing this in less time.
Thanks again Liz for the perfect organisation. We will certainly recommend Southern Africa Travel to our frinds, and if we come again to South Africa or any other place in Africa we will choose you again.
Posted | Review by Jim Lemley, United States | Travelled in November 2016
Good afternoon Monique,
Southern Africa was FANTASTIC! The trip was very organized and went smoothly. Everything met or beat expectations except the lodging at Idube.
Thanks for all of your hard work and help. I would definitely recommend your services for anyone looking to travel to Africa.
Posted | Review by Erich Weber, Belgium | Travelled in November 2016
We completed our tour successfully and it was a wonderful experience. Everything worked like a swiss clock and we have nothing to complain about.
All flights were fine - we arrived on time and could use our extra day for a daytrip to Victoria Falls. The bush flights were fine, just one was an operational mistake as the plane had space for 5 and we were 6 … So the pilot flew the 4 others to Maun first, and picked us up later for a direct transfer to Savute. We did not miss any activity as this was just happening over the long lunch break.
A short ranking from us:
- Chobe Game Lodge - stands out in everything. Very much to see and a good combination of drives and boat rides.
- The camps are very different. Camp Moremi was the oldest, but the staff was the friendlies and happiest of all. They made up for it. Wildlife was very good - not as big in numbers as in Chobe but really good.
- Camp Okavango was the best camp as it is brand new from April 2016 - but there is not much to see because you sit low in the boat and the grass is high. Sometimes we saw an elephant or two making their way through the grass to the water. The walking safari is nice, but not much to see besides the on spot education in animal poo ...
- Leroo la Tau I liked best for the view from the “tent” and the landscape overall. Upon arrival the river banks were loaded with zebra and wildebeest - wonderful to watch. That night it rained and the next morning nobody of them was home … The drives were a bit the same - as there are not so many different roads. Besides Blondie and Blackie not a lot new to discover. Transportation was in a car with six, but only two seating rows, so the guys in the middle seat were disadvantaged. We mentioned this to the guide and did not want to go on the last drive. So he left with 4 people and we hang around in the lodge, but management came and offered us another guide and car for the two of us. So they acted accordingly and made us happy again.
- Savute Safari Lodge was a nice accomodation - but the staff was different. They were not as happy and friendly as in the other camps. It is nicely situated at the waterhole and one can see a lot during the day and at dinner time. The drives and the landscape are a good variation, but it is a bit crowded, as a lot of private cars drive around and there is also Belmond close by. Everybody listens to the radio and hurries for the animal spot.
Yes - we are very happy with the trip - the choice of lodges / camps - your personal involvement in getting the trip together.
We will (and have already) recommend you and your organisation as much as we can.
And lastly, we never expected it to work so perfectly … but it did. Thank you.
Best regards from 2 happy customers - will see what you can do for us in 2017.
Erich & Danielle
Posted | Review by Sylvia Honnacker, Germany | Travelled in September 2016
That was the most incredible and best organised vacation we ever had. Thank you so much. From the beginning (Malcolm awaiting us at CPT Airport) till the end (Chobe Princess staff taking us to Kasane Airport) everything went as smooth as silk and exceeded expectations. We enjoyed every minute of it and are relaxed and full of memories now, just as it should be.
It is most unfortunate that we will not be able to afford something like that again. But if we should win the lottery we will get back to you and book another vacation with you. We didn´t have to worry about anything and spent our time simply enjoying life. Thank you.
Sylvia and Hermann Honnacker
Posted | Review by Sandra Dhuey, United States | Travelled in June 2016
It has taken me a while to send you a thank you for the wonderful job you did with a trip for my daughter Katie Dhuey and her husband Dan Melin. It was so wonderful and totally organized. We didn’t have anything to worry about. All the services were great. Our driver Steve on the Cape couldn’t have been nicer. Everything was perfect. I have become spoiled and want to travel like this all the time.
I have made a 30 minute DVD of our trip and have shown it to many people. All are wanting to go to South Africa after seeing my video.
Posted | Review by Sabrina Spencer, United States | Travelled in September 2016
Yes we made it back safely and I’m finally back on Eastern Standard Time :). I want to thank you for planning such a wonderful trip for me. The DaVinci was lovely with terrific service and Idube was divine! Thank you so much for booking us in a suite - all the other guests were so jealous when we had elephants (and one day a leopard) drinking out of our pool!!
The drivers to every destination were polite and very efficient, some even arriving early to make sure we stayed on schedule :). And thank you so much for suggesting the Panorama Tour. It was some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen, truly a spiritual experience for me. The game drives were terrific. I was privileged enough to see both lions and leopards mate, and even witnessed four female lions hunt and kill a buffalo!
The entire trip was beyond my expectations, which I admit were pretty high :). The only complaint I have which is totally out of your control, is that I was not impressed with South African Airlines that I booked. The next time I fly to South Africa (yes I do plan on coming back :)) I will probably book British Airways via London.
Other than that, it was a trip of a lifetime and again thank you so much for booking a beautiful journey that I will have fond memories of always.
Posted | Review by Olivia Fischer , United States | Travelled in August 2016
The trip was great! Everything went well including all the lodges, all the logistics and transfers etc. We really liked all of the stops and will recommend to our friends.
Matt & Olivia
Posted | Review by Carolina Armand, Singapore | Travelled in August 2016
As you know we had a wonderful experience with this trip. We are highly experienced travellers because we have been living abroad for more than 17 years and we have had the opportunity to travel around our "temporary" countries of residence. However, in terms of "serious" safaris this was our second experience.
Our intention was to plan this trip to be comfortable and with some luxury included. The final result of the trip, thanks to your knowledge and experience, was superb. It is usual in such long trips and with so many national and international transfers, that something can fail either on the land or the air transfers but this time the logistics were spotless.
Regarding the accommodation (hotels and lodges) and the type of accommodation (type of room) all of them were excellent choices. We were very pleased with the service, food and decor of each selection.
All the activities booked through you were honored correctly and they were fun and enjoyable.
One of the most important part of the trip was the game drives or river cruises since that was the main porpuse of the trip. All of them were amazing!. We came fully satisfied and happy with every single game drive or cruise. We were very lucky also with our rangers and guides; they were all very professional but also warm.
We thank you for the job so well done that provided us with wonderful pictures and amazing memories. We came back with a longer wishlist and if we are able to follow our road map, we might go back next year to Africa and explore it's endless amazing places. Of course, we will contact you again if that plan becomes firm.